Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Sydney Jan 11 - 12

We didn't have more than a full day and night here, unfortunately, but definitely a town on my list to visit properly. After all, I didn't have enough meals in one day to really experience the city.

I'm always surprised to come across Korean diaspora around the world. It's always a bit unexpected when I run into a Korean restaurant in places I'd never think Koreans could adapt to or adopt. But one's nostalgia for home never seems to disappear, and so far, I've been able to locate a Korean food joint wherever I go - Prague, Cuzco in Peru, Queenstown in New Zealand, and Sydney.

I must have gone to the wrong Korean restaurant in Sydney because my dolsot bibimbop (the hot stone bowl bibimbop - not going to bother explaining it here because my blog is for lovers of all foods, but especially Korean food) was seriously lacking the mysterious vegetables my mom had dubbed "mountainvegetablesjusteati,it'sgoodforyou" and no bulgogi meat! Perhaps the restaurant was serving up the recession special bibimbop. At least they didn't skimp on the gochujang sauce and gave me the whole bottle. Disappointed.

Dinner, although much more expensive, wasn't too much better. What I should've had were the massive crayfish that were suspended in large tanks at the Sydney Aquarium. What I had instead was the 7 course tasting menu at Aria. The executive chef of this place is Matthew Moran who didn't let you forget it with his autographed cookbooks prominently and tackily displayed everywhere for sale. And (surprise!) he reminded you that they were available for purchase ($40) on his menu and with your bill. The best courses were an entree of this incredibly savory and silky Peking duck consomme with shaved abalone, mushrooms, and dumplings, all enveloped by a shiny coat of truffle oil, and the dessert of a chilled peach soup with a raspberry ice cream cannelloni and ginger gelee bits. I've noticed that cool fruit soups for dessert is really popular, and I'm all for this trend. It's really refreshing in the summer.



Peking Duck Consomme



Chilled Peach Soup

I'd say the most winning aspect of the restaurant was the view of the majestic Sydney Opera House, and the most lackluster was its spotty service. I felt rushed to get out, understandable since it was late on a Sunday night, but our server had to be reminded several times to bring around cocktail menus and a copy of the tasting menu. All chalked up to an "ok" experience for the price. I'm definitely coming back for Tetsuya, a fabled unforgettable experience for a gourmand (or just a little ol' food lover like me).

Aria Restaurant


View of Sydney Opera House from our table



Sydney Harbour Bridge at Night



Sydney Opera House at Night

2 comments:

  1. I haven't eaten lunch yet and your blog makes me sad for food. Your trip sounds lovely, though! I'm so jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete