Tuesday, February 3, 2009

New Zealand - Day of Firsts cont'd

13 January, 2009 continued.

I left off with the promise of detailing more exciting firsts. I drove on the left side of the road for the first time in my life. I was extremely nervous, thinking that I might somehow forget what I was doing and wander into the other side of the road when making a turn. But you quickly get the hang of it. The trick is to focus on staying as close as possible to the right side since we American drivers have a tendency to wander to the left, dangerously approaching the curb or another car. Though everything feels pretty much the same, the one thing I really dislike is passing cars going the other direction on a State Highway. Despite its grand title, New Zealand's state highways are more like long, winding, 2-lane country roads. When you pass cars or trucks going the other way at a 100 kmph, it feels like you're going to scrape the right side against the other vehicle's but just narrowly miss! I do not like that feeling at all. I don't know what it is, but it seems different when the driver's seat is on the left side.

The next first experience was skydiving, but that definitely deserves its own entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment