Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Revival of One Hundred Steps - Part I: My Old Blog

I suppose I should begin at the beginning. The following several entries are from my ancient blog but remain relevant to this new one. They are, after all, my first foray into publishing my thoughts on the world wide web. Whoever you are, enjoy.

First of Firsts
July 31, 2005 7:07 PM

I start this blog in fear of boring people to tears, but then I realize that you can just as easily close this window and forget about my existence. But I hope that you will stick around and be my guest. I like to entertain. And if I could, I'd offer you food because that would show how much I really care. The disturbing part about this entry is I really have no audience right now, and in fact, I have no idea who I'm speaking to. It's a bit like talking to yourself in the mirror. Soothing as you go on and on yet disturbing when you step out of the bathroom and realize that you had an entire conversation with your reflection. Jesus. Somebody please call me.

It is now nearing the end of what I consider a pretty good weekend - I managed to spend more than 3 hours outdoors without spending over $20. It's quite a feat in New York City in my opinion. Saturday was one of those rare summer days in the city- very little humidity, sunshine, and a breeze that smelled like the Atlantic Ocean (it just does, dammit, I'm not trying to be writerly). Took the 7 train to Queens which is a borough I'm beginning to grow a crush on. It's the most ethnically diverse borough in New York City (138 different languages spoken) with hundreds of great restaurants (so I hear), and the best South Asian street food on the East Coast (also hearsay), and lots of cultural activities to offer. It's the home of Hal Sirowitz (last year's poet laureate of Queens and hilarious) and Ashrita Furman, the guy who holds the most records in the Guinness Book of World Records. He currently holds the title for Most Useless Skills (Although Somersaulting May Come in Handy on a Blind Date). In any case, Queens is pretty great.

I went to P.S. 1's Warm-up Saturday series (http://www.ps1.org/) with a large group of guys which has kind of been the story of my life. I was The Girl in my group of high school friends and the one everyone experimented with (I'm kidding!); Julie of The Mod Squad if you will. Warm-up had a great vibe; everyone was relaxed and enjoying the beer and the music, kind of like the Coke Zero commercial without the gay singing (and by gay i mean merry). I liked the DJ, although it wasn't the type of music I listen to regularly, it was the type that I like in clothing stores because it made the clothes seem cooler as though the outfit came with a beat. It was the kind of music that made you want to dance. And dance, they did, these crazy-ass New Yorkers:

photos to come as soon as i figure out how to use this damn blog. friends, please teach this young grasshopper how to work Livejournal. this entry is in dire need of visuals. gracias.

No comments:

Post a Comment